Most of us have been there before—we are determined and motivated to set New Year’s resolutions and for the first few days or even weeks, it may work out. But sooner or later you give up on your goal and it leaves you believing that you are weak-willed or feeling like a failure. And that’s why the majority of us don’t even bother!
So does this mean that it’s not worth it to upgrade your life in areas that are no longer serving you?
Life is always about learning, growing and improving in all areas of life. But I like to approach resolutions in a much different way and that is the reason I have been able to grow and expand by leaps and bounds in my own life over the past several years.
First off, the reasons that New Year’s resolutions don’t work is because they are often goals that we ‘think’ we should be setting and they are not coming from a place of deep inspiration and heart-centered connection with our soul.
Just think about trying to motivate a kid who is not really connected to what you are asking him or her to do!! Uggh, it’s force and struggle because deep down inside that child knows what you are asking them to do is not coming a self-guided place of inspiration. They may do the task, but half-heartedly and begrudgingly.
And the same is true with your inner child!
Also, New Year’s resolutions are usually some type of goal that may be unrealistic or might not be the right time. Our minds may want to do something but if our emotions or subconscious minds are telling us something different, we are out of alignment with what we think we want.
The way I approach any change in my life, at any time of the year, is by focusing on how I want to EXPERIENCE MYSELF. I always like starting off the New Year with a fresh, new perspective on how I would like to experience the New Year. It sets the energy and gets my intentions out into the universe in a strong and deliberate way.
Here are 5 steps to manifesting a New Year that is meaningful to YOU. Even better, you can also teach your kids to do this as a life-long way of BEING!
1. Focus on what you want to experience rather than what you want to gain or achieve. Some examples may be:
- I want to experience more peace and stillness in my life so I can become more present and mindful of everything in my life.
- I want to experience more abundance in my life so I can enjoy all the amazing things this world and universe has to offer me.
- I want to spend more time with my children and make this a priority over anything else.
- I want to experience more family vacation time.
- I want to experience more confidence, spiritual growth and love.
- I want to experience vibrant health and well-being.
- I want to experience a deeper connection with my spouse, kids, etc.
- I want to experience more time for self-care.
- I want to experience myself as a confident, happy and successful being.
2. When focusing on what you want to experience this year, visualize how it will feel and act ‘as if’ you already have it.
3. Look for ways, even if they are small or few and far between, in which you already experience this energy in your life. Focus on how that feels when you allow yourself to experience this in your reality. Amp up this energy right now!
4. Write it down! When you write it down, it is the first appearance of what you want to manifest in your reality. Come back to this commitment you made to yourself for what you want to experience in your life on a regular basis. At a minimum, review your written manifestation every week but it is better to remind yourself daily.
5. Declare, decide and put your stake in the ground! After all, it is your life and nobody gets to create for you but you! It’s true that we all create our own reality, so don’t delay any longer.
Stop creating your life by DEFAULT and DECIDE that you are choosing to experience life on your terms. It may not be perfect, but hey, who said it has to be. Perfection is an illusion anyway!
If you don’t decide deliberately what you want to experience, whatever that may be, then others will decide for you (the government, the media, the schools, your spouse, parents, children, etc.) and that isn’t much fun now, is it? And what better way to empower your children but to be the model of empowerment by choosing how you want to experience your own life!
Happy New Year and many blessings to you![fbcomments]